NVIDIA Held Up While Big Tech Slipped. Here’s the Trade We Want

Update before market open: We cancelled the original October 16 $230 call before entry. Quantelle's locked publication snapshot showed an $11.15 bid and $11.30 ask—already above our $10.75 maximum—while NVDA was still below the $234.80 breakout trigger. Those conditions could not occur together, so no trade was taken. The corrected setup below uses the October 16 $240 call and gives the trigger and premium room to work together.

NVIDIA did something useful on Friday: it refused to follow the rest of big tech lower.

NVDA finished September 4 at $230.36, up about 0.8%. During the same session, Microsoft lost roughly 2%, Apple fell about 2.5%, and the Nasdaq finished in the red. One day of relative strength does not prove that a breakout is coming. It does tell us where buyers were willing to show up when several obvious peers were under pressure.

Quantelle's model noticed the same separation. NVDA ranked first in our sampled large-cap growth scan with a 16.85 overall rating, ahead of MSFT, AAPL, AMD, and TSLA. That combination is why NVDA remains our next prepared trade. It is also why we are not entering it yet.

The corrected contract and plan

We are watching the NVIDIA October 16, 2026 $240 call. Moving the strike from $230 to $240 reduces the premium committed while keeping 40 days to expiration. More importantly, the revised contract gives NVDA room to reach the stock trigger without making the option automatically too expensive to buy.

Our planned option entry is $6.50 to $9.00. We will record the ask at activation as the official fill rather than choosing a flattering midpoint afterward. The initial stop is $4.25. Our targets are $13, $18, and $25.

Using the $7.75 midpoint of the planned entry range, the stop risks about 45%. Target one offers roughly 68% upside, target two about 132%, and target three about 223%. Those figures are scenario math, not promises. One contract at a $7.75 premium costs approximately $775 before fees, and the entire premium can be lost. This is a high-risk setup.

The stock has to earn the entry

Friday's high was $234.76. Our activation level is $234.80. We want to see NVDA trade above that price and hold rather than briefly poking through it and falling back into Friday's range.

If NVDA never gets above $234.80, we do not enter. If it crosses the level and immediately rejects it, we can still pass. We also will not chase the option above $9.00. A gap higher could make the directional thesis look better while making the contract's price worse.

That is the lesson from the original contract: every condition must be executable at the same moment. A compelling stock chart is not enough if the option price has already invalidated the plan.

Why this is more than another AI story

NVIDIA does not need a new AI narrative. The market already understands the company's position in accelerated computing, and the stock's valuation reflects enormous expectations. The relevant question for this trade is whether demand for the shares remains stronger than demand for other large technology stocks.

Friday provided one encouraging answer. Quantelle's trend and momentum measurements provided another. NVIDIA also continues to expand its local-AI ecosystem with new RTX systems and tools. That supports the broader growth story, but the article is not the trigger. The chart is.

What proves us wrong

Before entry, the setup fails if NVDA cannot hold above $234.80, if the option ask is above $9.00 at activation, or if the bid-ask spread becomes unusually wide. After entry, the position is invalid if NVDA loses $229.40 or the option falls to $4.25.

The entry deadline is September 11. If NVDA does nothing by then, we will not quietly extend the idea. Time decay, volatility, and the chart will have changed enough to require a fresh decision.

Why the correction matters

A public record is only useful if mistakes remain visible. The original $230 call was published, its quote snapshot exposed a contradiction, and it was cancelled before entry. We did not move the entry range after seeing the quote or pretend the first setup never existed.

The corrected contract, trigger, entry range, stop, targets, deadline, and invalidation are again being published before the market reopens. If the trade triggers, we will post the recorded fill and subsequent changes. If it fails or never activates, that will stay visible too.

NVDA is showing the relative strength we want. Now it has to confirm above $234.80 at an acceptable option price. Until then, this is a prepared trade—not an open one.

Sources

- Yahoo Finance NVDA quote and delayed options data (https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/NVDA/options/) - NVIDIA product and company updates (https://www.nvidia.com/en-eu/)

For research and educational purposes only. This is not personalized investment advice. Options involve substantial risk and can lose their entire value. Market and options quotes are delayed and may differ from executable prices.